Wednesday 11 March 2009

a good book

I've been spending my lunchtimes in the library recently. Geeky I know, but better than wandering round in the rain or staying stuck in the office. Also, I love libraries. I can't get enough of them.

Anyway, I started reading The Confessions of an Eco-Shopper the other day, which is dressed up to look like a chick-lit book and frankly I didn't have high hopes for it.

But, I'm really enjoying it, and highly recommend it. As the author says, there are way too many sources of information telling to do this and do that and making us feel guilty and confused in terms of living greenly, so it's nice to read something about what has worked and not worked for one person - more friendly and honest than preachy or doom-mongering.

And it's very much focused on fitting it all round a 'normal' life - work, kids, social life etc. so doesn't feel unrealistic.

I also really like the way the author sets herself challenges (to stop shopping at supermarkets, to test natural deodorants, to see if organic food tastes better, to compost etc.). I've been inspired to set myself some of those...

No comments: